Whether you are professional farmer, a hobbyist or just someone who loves to grow their own food, your only wish would be to get the best yield. However, without proper planning this would be a dream that remains beyond you reach. Vegetable planting calendars help us in planning the types of vegetables that we want to grow at specific times. If you want to grow vegetables whilst, getting the best yields, a vegetable planting calendar can also go a long way into helping you achieve your dream. To be frank, initially, I didn’t even care about when was the best time to grow a vegetable, I used to just buy seeds and plant the freaking vegetables. I would then wait for them to mature and harvest. However, I learnt my lessons and this is the reason why I searched for the vegetable planting calendar in Zimbabwe.
Table of Contents
Why you need the vegetable planting calendar in Zimbabwe
One thing I learnt from randomly planting my vegetables was that I would have losses every time. The losses may be linked to pests, weather conditions, diseases and other parameters. So, when you randomly, it will be like you are going against nature, so to succeed you have to bear the costs of making the conditions suitable for the plant, if you are to get good results. But when you use a planting calendar, you definitely now when to grow and harvest as well as when to protect your crops. All this helps minimise the costs and risks associated with growing vegetables. It will also help in improving your yields as well as the quality of vegetables you will harvest.
To be frank, no one likes to it insect infested or damaged vegetables, even if the food comes from their backyard or hobby garden. If the quality of what you eat is higher, then the healthier and more appealing the food is.
When to plant different types of vegetables in Zimbabwe
All vegetables are not equal! As a result, they cannot be treated like the same plant. This is because they have different planting times, requirements as well as maturity periods. So, to get the best out of your vegetables, you have to plant them at the write time. I have been searching for the Zimbabwe specific vegetable planting calendars for some time now. And fortunately, I managed to find one, however, I am not so sure if it is the best one out there. Just to make you fill better, many people have vouched for it and the pdf document was downloaded more than a thousand times from the Agribusiness Farming Magazine website.
So, what to grow at what time?: The vegetable planting calendar in Zimbabwe
Beet root, egg plant, broccoli and butternut
- Beet root: For beet root, it is best to plant it in May, June or in July, outside these 3 months, it may be difficult to get the best results.
- Egg plant: According to the planting calendar Egg plant can be planted best from August through September, October, November up to December.
- Broccoli: You can plant broccoli through 7 months from February through March, April, May, June, July up to August.
- Butternuts: According to the vegetable farming calendar in Zimbabwe, butternuts are best planted from August, through September, October, November up to December.
Cabbage, carrots, cauliflower and chillies
- Cabbage: You can plant cabbages throughout the year from January to December.
- Carrots: The best time you can plant carrots is between February and September. Any time outside this period may not produce the best results.
- Cauliflower: You can plant cauliflower vegetables from February through March, April, May, June, July up to august for the best results.
- Chillies: Chillies are one of the most popular vegetables in culinary arts. The best times you can plant chillies are in august and in September.
Green beans, green mealies, lettuce and baby marrow
- Green beans: The best time for planting green beans ranges from September up to April. so, you start planting in September, through October, November, December, January, February, March up to April.
- Green mealies: These are best plant from September, October, November up to December.
- Lettuce: To get the best quality and yield, plant your lettuce from March through April, May, June up to July.
- Baby marrow: If you want to plant baby marrow, you have a rather long period to do what your want. You can plant your baby marrow plants from August through September, October, November, December, January up to February.
Onions, peas, peppers and potatoes
- Onions: Onions are part of billions of meals daily across the world. So, if you want the best crop for better cuisine, you must make use of good planting dates. The best period to plant onions start from February and ends in May.
- Peas: If you want to plant onions in your fields or garden, the best period for planting them starts in March. From the beginning of March, you can plant through April up to May.
- Peppers: You can plant your peppers from august through September, October, November, December, January up to February.
- Potatoes: Potatoes are a bit unique as they can be planted in specific months through out the year. You can plant your potatoes from February to April, the from July to august and finally from October to December.
Squash, germ squash, marrow squash, tomatoes and water melon
- Squash: you can plant your squash crop starting in august through September, October, November, December, January up to February.
- Germ squash: for the germ squash the best period to plant them is in October and November. You can still plant them outside this period but the results may not be the same.
- Marrow squash: the planting period for marrow squash starts in July and it ends in November.
- Tomatoes: You can plant the tomato crop throughout the year from January to December.
- Watermelons: The best time to plant watermelons begins in July and ends in August. You can still plant them outside this period but it may depend on your climatic conditions. In Mbire district in Zimbabwe, they grow them out side this period but they still do so well.
- Agribusiness Farming Magazine, June 2019 edition, page 15.
It is my opinion that there are better vegetable planting periods out there. However, this was just one of the best calendar on what I found. If you have a better vegetable planting calendar in Zimbabwe, please do share with us in the comment section. If you want the best yields for your crops, you need to make use of a vegetable planting calendar. The vegetable planting calendar ensures the best conditions for growing your crops naturally without adjusting the environmental conditions.